Coconut oil has been proven to aid digestion, and can help with problems such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, inflammation of the gut, poor nutrient absorption, irregularity of bowel movements and other gastrointestinal problems.
Below we have summarised the top 3 ways that coconut oil can aid digestion in more detail:
1. Prevents bad bacteria entering the gut:
As discussed in our previous blog posts, coconut oil has anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties which are useful for staving off parasites, bad bacteria and yeast (also known as candida) which often settle in the digestive system and mess with our digestion.
2. Reduces and soothes intestinal inflammation:
The medium-chain fats in coconut oil can have a soothing effect on inflamed intestinal tracts and can push away unwanted microorganisms that often lead to further inflammation, and result in inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn’s.
3. Regulates sugar cravings :
Many of us experience sugar cravings and have trouble ridding our bodies of these. Coconut oil can help to reduce these cravings big time due to the high-quality fat that it releases into the body, which fast converts to energy, thus providing the body with the same satisfaction as your usual sugar high!
Add a tablespoon of unrefined extra virgin organic coconut oil to meals to boost your digestive health, which will slowly begin to boost your overall wellbeing.
Try these easy ways to add coconut oil to your daily diet:
- Add 1 tablespoon to smoothies
- Add 1 tablespoon to your healthy nut butter
- Add to your homemade granola – click here for our delicious recipe
- Add 1 tablespoon to a wok and stirfry your vegetables or lean meats
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon liquid coconut oil over salads and vegetables (it can withstand higher temperatures that other oils)
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon liquid coconut oil over your fruit salad